Director of Esports (Inaugural)
The Inaugural Director of Esports provides leadership and vision for establishing an esports program, including creating and building program goals and operations for growth. This includes recruiting student competitors, mentoring, coaching, facility management, and building campus interest in competitive and recreational gaming. This person is responsible for supervising a comprehensive program including current games and providing leadership and growth/change in game offerings and staffing. This person is responsible for developing summer camp/conference experiences to assist with developing a healthy community of gamers and enhancing revenue. This is a location-based/on-campus position (working remotely is not an option for this role). This full-time, exempt-level position is eligible for benefits, and reports to the Assistant Vice President for Student Development.
Essential functions include but are not limited to:
Provide leadership for the development of varsity-level intercollegiate esports and supports recreational gaming consistent with the mission of Wittenberg University. This includes:
- Work collaboratively across divisions to support student competitors, effectively recruit and retain students, develop a healthy community of gamers, ensure quality partnership with IT to meet technology needs, and to cultivate sponsorship/donors as appropriate.
- Maintain the esports facility.
- Develop policies and procedures to support the esports program.
- Manage esports budget and monitor operating expenses.
Oversee all recruitment activities for competitive games and work to meet annual enrollment targets.
- Develop a healthy competitive community of gamers and establish guidelines, policies and norms that support student health and well-being, inclusivity, and competitive excellence.
- Monitor student success to ensure retention of students at the University.
- Work closely with admissions regarding marketing, scheduling and attending recruitment events, evaluating players in the sports they directly coach, and maintain consistent contact with players/families.
- Over time will maintain an initial target roster of approximately 70 students with revenue of approximately $1.2M.
Provide mentoring and coaching to student participants:
- Initially work with 2 games for recruitment, coordination of coaching and game coordination. Expand gaming and coaching offered in future years.
- Develop appropriate practice and competition schedules.
- Promote and enforce discipline, inclusion and sportsmanship.
- Create recreational gaming opportunities for general student population.
Revenue generating activities:
- Develop, market and administer 2-3 summer camp/conference experience for youth that generate revenue for the University and build a pipeline for potential recruits.
- Work to develop and maintain corporate sponsorships.
Serve as a member of the Student Development team; represent esports on appropriate committees.
Perform other relevant duties as assigned such as special projects, programs, developmental activities, etc.